Wednesday 21 March 2012

The days prior to the Second Operation

Days blurred into one another once the news of the second operation came. I was back into my positive frame of mind, was happy and upbeat and not worried about it, after all, what could I do to change things?

Had visits from Mark, his mum and Tracey.  It’s so good to see everyone and my new family are wonderful.  There isn’t anything that is too much trouble, they bring me things in, at the moment I don’t need clothes but soon, when I go home…
Mum and dad have been good in bringing Laura over to see me, it gets very emotional when she leaves and I try and hold it together, she has a lot ahead of her with college and being away from home at such a crucial time, I don’t want to let her see me upset, I can cry later.

Still living on morphine and a cocktail of painkillers, if it gets too bad I can have orimorph which is administered by two nurses.  I try and only have that when necessary but sometimes it really is necessary!!

The chest drain has finally been removed, it was watched by other members of staff as it’s pretty fascinating on the ward.  One of the nurses was disappointed not to see it removed but I reassured her there would be another one along next week!  They said it wouldn’t hurt – ha, the lied. It did!  And to see a tube of about 12” being removed from your chest is pretty awesome in a morbid sort of way!  The relief of freedom now though is intense, I can more (not very far!) but the pipe is no longer restricting my movements when I turn or stretch.  I know this feeling of freedom is short lived but it’s a great feeling nonetheless. 

I also had to get out of bed today and use the commode.  The first time since before the operation as I have been attached to the drain.  Was given lactulose and morphine to help.  I can honestly say, it was more painful than giving birth and without going into detail, I managed to use my bowels, which on neurology, is a major achievement.  Spinal cord injuries often result in the loss of bowel and bladder movements and to be able to go to the toilet is pretty good.
I stayed out of bed now that the drain has gone and sat in the chair for a while.  The legs are stronger but the left leg still wont work, it has to be lifted in and our of bed and is a dead weight.  Hopefully the second op will change that. 

I love being on the ward and chatting to people.  I am now in a room with Margaret and Janet.  We have such a laugh and stay up late talking which is just as well as sometimes the nurses are so busy its late before we get sorted for bed. 
The operation is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday 14th September……


This is what I am having done again :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment