Wednesday 21 March 2012

Light at the end of the Tunnel

It was confirmed by Physio and after an assessment, as long as I was able to walk up and down stairs with the aid of a stick, I could go home.

I exercised those legs like never before.  Physio had got me a knee brace to hold the knee in place to stop it kicking back, they also ordered me a new foot brace but I tried it with the knee brace the two wouldnt co-ordinate and I fell over.  I felt so silly lying on the floor and it took three of them to get me up, I cried purely because I had become so dependent on other people and couldn't do everything for myself anymore.

I prepared myself to go home, six weeks after going into hospital for Transthoracic Spinal Surgery I was going home.  I had a lot of physical work ahead, and a lot of emotional issues to get over, but I was going home! How exciting!

Everything was ready at home, mum, dad and Yvonne got the house ready for me; There were a few problems with the house, electrical issues that needed dealing with and I tried not to worry, dad would sort it, my main aim was to concentrate on getting out!  Physio assessed me on the stairs and said I had done well and they saw no reason why I couldn’t go home.

Friday came; I went through my regular morning routine, packed my bags and prepared myself to leave.  I had bags of medication to see me through and a list of things to do. 

Jean, Caroline and Gill, my fellow room mates, were all sad to see me go – whilst I was sleeping in the afternoon they got me a card and all signed it.  It made me cry.  I knew these people for two weeks, yet we had such a bond with similar spinal problems.
When it came to leave, Gill was in tears, there were hugs all round, even the nurses were sad to see me go but for the right reasons. 
Mark arrived and when I was finally discharged, he wheeled me out to the car in my own new wheelchair and we set off for home.  He was going to be living with me permanently now, my life had been taken off hold and had just begun again and i was nervous and apprehensive about what was ahead.


Fresh 




No comments:

Post a Comment