Wednesday 21 March 2012

Thoracic Surgery - diagnosis that changed my life

2011 started to be what looked like a promising year.  I was in a job I loved, had a comfortable life and had made a conscious effort this year to tackle the weight issue that had dogged me for years.  I had hypnosis for a few weeks and the impact on my positive mental state was immense, I felt invincible and ready to tackle anything.  My weight dropped off and I was two dress sizes smaller by March, I felt amazing and my confidence soared. 

For reasons I have no answer to, I wanted to make contact with someone from my past, a friend who I had been close to some seven years ago, I wanted to know how his life was, was he happy, the usual stuff.  I was in a marriage that had been marred with issues that were left and had grown too big to tackle, so perhaps my need to go back to happier times was the reason behind contact.  In his defence, my husband Anthony was a lovely person who deserved someone better, by allowing me to follow my dreams of photography, we had sadly grown apart.  

I was however having trouble with my legs and the strange sensations that were happening.  Like most people, I did what we all would do is Googled it and results that came back were shouting out to me MS.  So my advice to anyone who wants to self diagnose, DON’T.  Go see the doctor and get a proper diagnosis, and if they still don’t give you answers, be persistent, you know your body and when something isn’t right you should trust your instincts. 

In May I collapsed and had a diagnosis that would not only change my life but the outlook I had on it, and everything and everyone around me.  To anyone who is diagnosed something that is rare, I wanted to put my words and thoughts out there, purely to reassure anyone that although the outlook is scary, it can be overcome and there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

Bear with me as I put everything into a readable account of what happened both before, during and after being diagnosed with a Thoracic Spinal injury, a calcified T8 and T9 disc herniating and virtually several the spinal cord.   

Today is my 44th birthday and I am pleased that I am here to celebrate it with my family.

London 2011

8 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline, Wow where do I begin, I really was starting to think there was very few people who have had this rare condition and needed what the doctors called "Thorasic X-Lif" My pain began in January of 2011 and today after trying everything to help my back I am now scheduled for surgery April 9th, just a couple of weeks away and to say the least I am scared to death. I really could use a friend right now. I promise not to take up too much time or talk your ear off but if at all possible, could we talk for a couple of minutes?
    You can e-mail me directly at Robeekirby@aol.com. Would love to hear from you, your story is inspiring! Regards, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline. I was so glad to come across your blog! I am scheduled for thoracic disc sugery on June 18th. I tried to email you through blogger but couldn't find a way. Like Robin, I'd also like to hear from you. My email is ms57classic@aol.com Take care, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed with the same thing in June of 2012. However my surgeon didn't want to do anything until I get to the point that I can't walk.
    I'm getting to that point and very, very, scared. Thank you for blogging about your experience. I shall be reading all of it.
    Huggles,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jamie
    Would love to hear from you again, its good to have support through this so do get in touch. FaceBook carefreephotography Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Caroline
    What an inspiration you are. I have a giant thoracic disc. I've been told one more fall and I could be paralysed. Having surgery in less than 2 weeks. I hope I cope with it as well as you. You have gave me hope in my time of need thank you. Furzana

    ReplyDelete
  6. what kind of surgery you had ? would you explain the pre/post surgery journey you had ? what is the expectation will be ? thank you for your time

    ReplyDelete
  7. what kind of surgery you had ? would you explain the pre/post surgery journey you had ? what is the expectation will be ? thank you for your time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Moka.. feel free to email me at CAZZIE21368@AOL.COM. as email is easier than text :)

    ReplyDelete