Wednesday 21 March 2012

Progress

Physio continued from Louth Hospital on a weekly basis, I was given exercises to follow and goals to aim for.  I also had an appointment to see my Surgeon on the 23rd November in Sheffield, I was determined to be walking by then.

When we arrived for our appointment, I was wearing the knee brace, I was using ONE crutch to walk with.  When I was called in for my appointment, I stood up and walked into the room.  The registrar who I was seeing said he was amazed to see that I was walking,  he said that when he called me, he was expecting to see me in a wheel chair and totally incontinent, having read the notes on my hospital file.   That made me feet ten feet tall knowing I was a little bit ahead of what they were expecting!  He talked to me, checked my wounds which were now healing well and then Mr B came in to see us.  He too was amazed at how well I was, quite dumbfounded by the recovery I had made to date, being as it was only two months post op and the last time he saw me I couldn’t walk. 

I explained about the nerve damage to the right leg, and they both suggested a drug called Pregabalin which should calm the nerves.  I was already on one that my doctor had given me but felt it was not really helping. 

He was pleased enough with the progress he said he wasn’t needing to see me for six months.  Six months!  I most definitely would be walking by then and hopefully with no limp, or dragging the foot. 

When I walked out of that hospital, I felt such a rush of enthusiasm and hope that by May 2012 I would be in a much better position and hopefully on the way back to normality.


Scars are healing well.












No comments:

Post a Comment